APPLICATION OF KNOWLEDGE EXTRACTION TECHNIQUES OVER EDUCATIONAL ENVIRONMENTS
Eva L. Gibaja
José María Luna
José Raúl Romero
ATECSE project (Application of Knowledge Extraction Techniques over Educational Environments) is located in the context of the research area called Educational Data Mining (EDM) and consists in applying knowledge extraction techniques over the data generated/provided by educational domains. Our objective is to obtain new useful knowledge/information to the implicated agents/users (mainly, instructors/teacher and academic authorities).
This main objective can be divided in two sub-objectives:
- Firstly, the project is oriented towards the new EDM methodologies in the scope of classification, association, sequence mining and text mining, and its application to solve/resolve different educational problems. Some examples of problems that we want to solve are: students classification and final score predictions, in order to advise corrective actions and personalization of the educational environment, by means of recommendation techniques of didactics resources and learning routes.
- Secondly, we are going to develop a specific data mining tool in web-based educational domain. The main characteristics of this tool are:
- to include traditional/standard algorithms used in EDM area, and other new developed by the project team.
- the final users of the applications are intended to be involved agents/users in the educational systems (mainly, instructors/teachers and academic authorities).
- the possibility of using this developed tool from other e-learning tools widely employed in Andalucia Universities, such as Moodle.