Educational Data Mining
Educational data mining (EDM) is an emerging discipline, concerned with
developing methods for exploring the data that come from an educational
context, and using those methods to better understand students, and the settings which
they learn in.
Whether educational data is taken from students' use of interactive learning
environments, computer-supported collaborative learning, or administrative data
from schools and universities, it often has multiple levels of meaningful
hierarchy, which often need to be determined by properties in the data itself,
rather than in advance. Issues of time, sequence, and context also play
important roles in the study of educational data.
My contributions to the EDM field
In the last years, I have published several papers about EDM. The most recents/relevants of them are:
(for a more detailed list, go to my publications page).
- E. García, C. Romero, S. Ventura and C. de Castro. Collaborative recommender
system using distributed rule mining for improving web-based adaptive courses.
User Modelling and User Adapted Interaction (In press).
- C. Romero, P. González, S. Ventura, M. J. del Jesus and F. Herrera.
Evolutionary algorithms for subgroup discovery in e-learning: A practical
application using Moodle data. Expert Systems With Applications (In
- C. Romero, S. Ventura and E. García. Data Mining in Course Management
Systems: MOODLE Case Study and Tutorial. Computers & Education. (In press).
- C. Romero and S. Ventura. Educational Data Mining: A Survey from 1995
to 2005. Expert Systems with Applications, 33(1), 135-146, 2007.
- C. Romero, S. Ventura and P. de Bra. Knowledge Discovery with Genetic
Programming for Providing Feedback to Courseware Authors. User Modelling and
User Adapted Interaction, 14(5), 425-464, 2004.
Also, I has co-edited the book Data Mining in e-learning, published by WIT Press in 2006.
He have also served as PC member in several research EDM forums including:
- Second International Conference on Educational Data Mining (EDM 2009). Córdoba, Spain, July 1-3, 2009.
- First International Conference on Educational Data Mining. Montréal, Québec, Canada, June 20-21, 2008.
- Educational Data Mining Track, Workshop on Data Mining
for User Modeling. (UM’07). Corfu, Greece. 2007.