PLEASE NOTE THAT THE DEADLINE TO SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSALS HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 10th APRIL 2018.
Participation is possible in any of the following forms:
- Theme sessions: Organizers will send a proposal for the panel in .pdf directly to the conference organizers (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 15th March 2018, with the following content and format: Session title, name and affiliation of the theme session convener(s), a description of the theme session of up to 500 words (including examples but excluding images and references), a list of the authors and titles of 6 to 8 individual papers and, if possible, all the abstracts of the individual papers in a suitable order. If the session is provisionally accepted (notification: 22nd March), the author or authors of each paper included in the session will submit their own proposals separately via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aelco2018) no later than 1st April to be evaluated by the Scientific Committee with the same criteria as those for the general session. These proposals should have the following content: Title, five keywords, and an abstract specifying research questions, methodology, data and expected results. They should not contain the names, affiliations or email addresses of the author(s) and should not exceed 500 words, including examples but excluding figures and references.
Notification of acceptance of individual theme session papers: June 1st 2018.
- General session: Proposals will be sent in .pdf format (500 words, including examples but excluding figures and references), no later than 10th April 2018. They should have the following content: type of the presentation (oral or poster presentation), its title, five keywords, and an abstract specifying research questions, methodology, data and expected results. They should not contain the names, affiliations or addresses of the authors of the presentations. They will be submitted through EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=aelco2018).
Notification of acceptance: June 1st 2018.
The languages of the conference are Spanish and English. Oral session slots will be allocated 30 minutes, which include 20 minutes for each presentation, followed by 5 minutes for questions and discussion, and 5 minutes to change rooms.
Contributions are encouraged on topics included in, or related to, the theme proposed for this edition, such as:
- Theoretical models for metaphor, metonymy, constructions and frames.
- Scientific research methods in any aspect of the study of metaphor, metonymy, constructions and frames
- The interaction of metaphor, metonymy, constructions and frames.
- The development of detailed repositories and databases for metaphor, metonymy, constructions and frames.
- Cross-linguistic studies on these areas.
- Multimodal research on these areas.
AELCO’s conferences always aim to serve as a forum for discussion of any topic within the field of cognitive linguistics. Therefore, we invite a broad range of papers on other traditional topics in cognitive linguistics such as:
- The structural characteristics of natural language categorization, including (apart from metaphor, metonymy and frames) prototypicality, image schemas, mental imagery and cognitive models).
- The functional principles of linguistic organization (such as iconicity and naturalness).
- The relationship between language and thought.
- The conceptual interface between syntax and semantics.
- The experiential and pragmatic background of language-in-use.
- The conceptual basis and structural organization of signed languages.
- The nature of language in its evolutionary and historical perspectives.
- The acquisition of language via cognitive, communicative and general social experience.
- The relationship between language and non-linguistic aspects of communication such as gesture.